Green Bean Casserole
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Lg Yellow Onion, small dice
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced or grated
- 8 oz White Button mushrooms, rough chop
- 6 Tbsp AP Flour
- 4 C Whole Milk
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- ¼ C Water
- 1 C Friendship Sour Cream
- 1 # Frozen French Cut Green Beans (Hericot Vert) or traditional green beans, defrosted
- 1 C Crispy Fried Onions, divided into thirds
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- In a large nonreactive sauce pot over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, add the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and reabsorbed it.
- Add the garlic and the flour and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the milk and bring it to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally to make sure you don’t scorch the bottom of the pot.
- Once you reach a simmer make your cornstarch and water slurry by stirring together. Whisk in the slurry and remain at a simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Turn the heat to low and whisk in the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble your casserole immediately, remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes while you preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the green beans and 1/3 C of the Crispy onions in the pot with the soup and mix well.
- Place mixture in a buttered 1 ½ qt baking dish and top with the remaining 2/3 C of crispy onions.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until warm and bubbly.