Creamy Hasselback Potatoes
- 3 oz. finely grated aged cheddar
- 2 oz. finely grated Stella® Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Friendship Dairies® Sour Cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 to 4 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick on a mandolin slicer
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter.
- Combine the cheeses in a large bowl. Transfer 1/3 of the mixture to a separate bowl then set aside.
- Take the 2/3 mixture and add heavy cream, sour cream, garlic and thyme. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add potato slices. Toss by hand, separating any slices that are sticking together so each one is completely coated.
- Organize the coated slices in a neat stack, then lay them in the casserole dish on their sides with their edges aligned. Place them working around the perimeter and into the center. The final dish must be tightly packed.
- Pour any excess cream/cheese mixture evenly over the potatoes until it comes halfway up the sides of the casserole. This may not require all the excess liquid.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil, then transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking until the top is pale golden brown (about 30 minutes longer).
- Carefully remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese, then return to oven.
- Bake about 30 minutes longer or until a deep golden brown with a crispy top. Remove from oven, let rest for a few minutes, then serve.