Sweet Challah Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 45 min
- 80 min
- 1 cup Friendship Dairies® whipped cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 large challah bread loaf, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9”x13” baking pan and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the cottage cheese, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt until smooth. In a large bowl, whisk the whole milk and eggs until well mixed. Stir in the cottage cheese mixture until smooth.
- Place one layer of challah bread cubes on the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup toasted pecans. Repeat with challah bread and chocolate chips until all challah, chocolate and pecans are all used.
- Pour the cottage cheese/milk mixture evenly over the challah, making sure all bread is in contact with the liquid by pressing down gently with your hands.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour evenly over the challah, wrap the baking dish in plastic wrap tightly, then place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than overnight.
- Bake for 35 minutes until challah rises slightly, is bubbly and golden brown on top. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve hot.