Skip to Content
- 25 mins
- 40 mins
- 2 cups 4% Friendship Dairies® cottage cheese
- 1 stick butter, diced
- ½ tbsp. garlic, minced or grated
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded + 4 oz. shredded cheddar reserved for topping
- 8 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. white American cheese, shredded or diced
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded, diced small, and sautéed until slightly charred
- 1 lb. bacon, diced or 4 oz. diced pancetta
- 1 lb. rotini pasta, cooked
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Add flour and whisk to form a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
- While whisking, pour in milk and cream, making sure no lumps remain. Stir occasionally.
- When sauce starts to simmer, reduce heat to low and whisk in combined shredded cheeses, adding 1 handful at a time and whisking well to incorporate.
- Sauté jalapenos and bacon (or pancetta).
- Remove from heat.
- Let rest while you cook the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the sauce along with the cottage cheese, bacon, jalapenos, scallions and mustard. Taste again and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour macaroni and cheese in baking dish. Top with reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese