Lightened-Up Zuppa Toscana
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chicken or Turkey Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 1 Yellow Onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes, ½ inch dice
- 8 oz Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Carrots, peeled and small dice
- 1 bu Italian Kale (Flat leaf/Lacinato), removed from stem and julienne
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- 4 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 3 Tbsp Chicken Stock or Water
- ½ C Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 C Friendship Light Sour Cream
- ¾ C Ditalini Pasta, cooked
- In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil. When shimmering add the sausage out of its casing and crumble it up in the pan. Cook until it is cooked through and some of the edges are getting crispy bits. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the pot and cook until the onion is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add the sausage crumbles back to the pot along with the chicken stock and beans.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes long – until the potatoes are tender
- Add the kale and whisk in the parmesan cheese and let it melt out, stirring well.
- While the soup is still at a gentle simmer, make a slurry with the remaining stock or water and cornstarch. Whisk into the soup and let it simmer gently for 3 minutes. To fully thicken.
- Remove the soup from the heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and make sure it is no longer at a simmer. Whisk in the light sour cream and gently stir in the cooked ditalini pasta.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.