Skip to Content
- 25 min
- 40 min
- 2 cups 4% Friendship Dairies® cottage cheese
- 1 stick butter, diced
- ½ tbsp. garlic, minced or grated
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded + 4 oz. shredded cheddar reserved for topping
- 8 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. white American cheese, shredded or diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Add flour and whisk to form a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
- While whisking, pour in milk and cream, making sure no lumps remain. Stir occasionally.
- When sauce starts to simmer, reduce heat to low and whisk in combined shredded cheeses, adding 1 handful at a time and whisking well to incorporate.
- Remove from heat.
- Let rest while you cook the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the sauce along with the cottage cheese. Taste again and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour macaroni and cheese in baking dish. Top with reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese